Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Visceral Response





This is a photo that I took a little over 5 years ago fishing on the Red River around 6 a.m. right at the border of Texas and Arkansas. After taking this photo it immediately gave me a feeling and thought of, "Wow! This is probably one of the best pictures I've ever taken!" I have never given it much thought other than how the fog and the lighting seemed to be over lapping at the perfect time, but after hearing designer Richard Seymour described the effects of stupefying, I would say this is what was and is felt when I look at this photo.

To me, this picture is very calming. I was in my element and feel this way when I am in nature. I feel that there are some places where you know and can feel that few people have ever set foot, or maybe even no one has ever been there, but you. This was one of those places for me. To give more thought to this photo than I have in the past, I would say that from a design point of view the heavy presence of Horizontal Lines gives the photo a calming look, low and relaxed energy flows through this photo with few Vertical Lines.

The fog hovering above the water softens the light of the sunrise and gives the photo a texture I can almost feel just by looking at it. The Intensity and Values of the different colors go from an almost pure black in the hat and collar to almost pure whites in the sun and reflections in the water. There are many reasons that this photo can create a visceral response and I have just but touched on some of the features that effect myself.

So even though this spot was almost a complete loss from a fishing perspective, it made up for in the memories and feelings this photo holds for me.







No comments:

Post a Comment